Home sewing clothing photos



This red dress is a remake of my favorite red dress, the first dress I sewed all by myself, the Marie Osmond peasant dress, with the bolero. I couldn't find the same kind of pattern, so this one had a waist, with the bodice & skirt cut separately, instead as one piece, and while this pattern called for one strip of elastic sewn into the waist, I opted to sew 3 or 4 strips of 1/4" elastic, at the waist, so it looks kind of smocked, even when I don't wear a belt. I wanted to make the bolero again, too, but didn't get it done. I wore this one in a church fashion show, & made a matching style peasant dress for my daughter, Jamie, but hers was in a pretty green cotton print. She enjoyed wearing hers in the fashion show, too.
My first dress sewn all by myself, on doubleknit red fabric, that didn't stretch. I LOVED this dress, my mom sewed the bolero, because it was double layered, & had bias taped edges. I was in seventh grade. This is my first pair of new high heel sandals, my grandpa bought me at Payless Shoes Store. 



I grew up in a large family, where new clothing was very rare, unless you made it, or it was a hand me down.  We grew up without TV, in the country in Idaho, and although it was the 70s & 80s, until I was 14 or  15, we only were able to watch tv at someone else’s home!   Probably because of that, I didn’t realize how fashionably we were dressed until recently, when “The Brady Bunch” reruns were on, and I happened to notice that the Brady girls were wearing the same styles I had worn in gradeschool & jr. high!  I had even worn my hair long like the Brady girls until the most popular girl in my grade told me that “the other girls and I got together & decided we think you’re stuck up, because you think you have the longest hair.”  Being the new kid in school at the beginning of 6th grade, I wanted to make friends, so I went home & had my mom cut my waist length hair to just below my shoulders, & with short bangs.  Did this make the girls more friendly? Nope! Of course not!


My first sewn blouse & full circle skirt, sewn all by myself, even the zipper insertion! I was in seventh grade, wearing my first new high heel sandals from Payless Shoes.
I am 15 years old in this photo, the black slacks are a pair I made myself, also, with slanted pockets, & 2 pleats on each side. I LOVE pants with pleats, & like to have at least 1 pair of black slacks, & 1 pair of khaki slacks (Dockers style) most of my life. The polo shirt was store bought.

My first homemade suit, polyester doubleknit, with a woven scarf I made, in 1984. I look 30, but I was on 17 in this photo.  I had sewn many pairs of pants & slacks, but not a whole suit, until this one.
This cotton blouse, with black lace Vneck, & tucks at the shoulders, with puffed sleeves, with a pleat at the hems, is one I sewed in 1986, just before I met my husband, Rick Ware. I also made a cream colored blouse, without the lace, that had a cream on cream print. They were cool, for living in Yucca Valley, California, & working in Palm Desert, California. I made a mix & match wardrobe, of skirts, slacks, & blouses, as well as my muumuu dresses, to stay comfy in the heat. Sewing my wardrobe really made me feel mature, a real grown up! I sewed all of these after I came home from being a nanny in New Jersey, for 6 months, for a family friend, with 4 kids.


My green muumuu I made before I got married, thank goodness, so I had something to wear when I was pregnant, this is the week I had David, in 1989! On the right, I'm wearing my blue muumuu, in 2001.





My daughter, Jamie, wearing a Pioneer skirt I made in just a couple of hours, using my Babylock Evolve serger, using the differential feed, & the special ruffler presser foot, that allows me to both gather the ruffle, & sew it to the skirt, at the same time.  I sewed rolled hems, for all edges, as well as for the waistband, & the large bow, tied in the back. No pattern used.

My daughter Jamie wearing a red Tshirt dress I made for me, but it looked better on her, so I gave it to her!

My daughter wearing another quickie skirt, sewn with my Babylock Serger Evolve, for her to wear to the Renaissance Fair
Oh well, I didn’t need to be popular anyway!  My Mom sewed most of our clothing with fabric our Grandma mailed to us here & there.  My favorite outfit Mom made for me was a three piece suit out of a perma press knit that looked very classy, in navy blue, with tiny red lines that almost made a plaid design, but they were so tiny & far apart, that they would be in style anytime!  The vest, skirt & pants looked good no matter what, & I literally wore them until I couldn’t fit in them anymore!
By fourth grade, I had been begging my Mom to teach me to sew for several years, and while she did let me sew things with hand needles, I could not sew an even line of stitches if my life depended on it, so I wanted to use the sewing machine.  Luckily, Mom let my older sister Debi & I join 4H, & actually managed to afford a half a yard of 1/4 inch gingham for each of us to make the required apron sewing project. Mrs. Fisher, our 4H leader, lived on a small Dairy Farm, in a tiny white farm house with a pump organ, a wood cook stove that you could load sticks of wood by lifting out the burner, & taught us to sew with her treadle sewing machine. I was THRILLED!
I would have won a first place blue ribbon, and $7, if I had ignored my sister Debi, & sewed the apron the way I saw Mrs. Fisher sew hers, when she was teaching us. Debi hadn’t noticed that we were supposed to turn all of the edges to the inside twice, so it wouldn’t fray, & you couldn’t see any raw edges.  She made me unpick my properly closed seam, and I believed her, because she was older! She really didn’t do it on purpose, she sewed hers that way too, so we both ended up with silver ribbons & only $4 apiece!
Victorian style dress I sewed for myself, when my kids were young. I used to wear long johns or sweats underneath it, to church, in very cold weather, lol!

Muumuu dress with navy blue lace on yoke
Muumuu dress of cream colored crinkle polyester

That was the beginning of my lifetime of sewing, & I love it more now than I did back then!  Probably because I know a lot more than I did back then! I have since become a fabric a holic, a sewing machine fixer upper/collector, a sewing machine attachment nut, & have managed to acquire an enormous stash of fabric, zippers, bias tape, elastic, sewing scissors & tools & notions of all sorts! 
 I have a very difficult to fit body, and the bigger it gets, the harder it is to fit, because instead of wanting to show off my figure by sewing sexy clothing, I strive to sew comfortable clothing that at least tries to hide the extra weight, so I have to do a lot of extra fitting & adjusting to make things look as good as I want them to! LOL!

I'm on the right, playing like Vanna White, I'm wearing one of my favorite turquoise crinkled poly/cotton muumuu dresses, my youngest sister, Jessica, is my helper

Mom & I love to use the Lutterloh sewing system to make patterns that fit our measurements, but we do still have to make some adjustments to make them fit us the way we want them to, but ANY pattern has to be adjusted to fit us right, & we have learned so much more about how to sew better, ever since we went to our first Lutterloh course & purchased our first system & tools!  I do use other patterns a little too, but we have discovered it is just easier to make a pattern to fit our figures than it is to try to alter each new McCalls, Simplicity, Vogue or Butterick pattern we want!
My wedding dress, I took photos wearing it in October, 2005. It is also from my favorite muumuu pattern, but mom & I added long puffed sleeves, with the double layer of lace cuffs, & crystal buttons, to close the cuffs. I have pockets, & a removable lace belt, so I can wear it loose, or with the belt.

Another muumuu dress, in rayon, which really wrinkles badly, & didn't wash well. If I had known about iron on knit interfacing, and how it can make a fabric stay looking pressed, even when it normally would wrinkle, I would have used it for this fabric. I loved the print, just not the quality of the fabric, itself.

One of my favorite muumuu dresses, in a Daisy Kingdom print, this is the long sleeved version, with elastic cuffs. I wore this until it was so thin, it was sheer!

Lutterloh blouse with the slanted cuffs pearl buttons breast pocket
Lutterloh elastic waist pants, showing serged finish details inside
Lutterloh elastic waist pants showing outside details
Lutterloh wool flannel slacks elastic waist serged inner details
Lutterloh wool flannel slacks elastic waist outside stitch detail blind hem
Lutterloh oversized blouse with pearl buttons and contrast cuff and collar details
Tshirt dress in royal blue tank style, worn with a sweater
Tshirt dress light blue short sleeves
Tshirt dress in green with homemade red canvas apron

A line red and black check skirt (I also made a gray wool skirt, but gave it to a friend)
Muumuu in crinkled cream polyester
Daisy Kingdom 100% cotton long sleeve muumuu dress


This is another muumuu style tshirt/smock, I bought at a garage sale, but the necklines were way too big, so I filled this one in with white on white striped Tshirt fabric, black & blue piping, & red & blue star appliques.
garage sale shirt, I sewed a neckline filler, for modesty


Lutterloh jeans stretch denim faux fly

elastic waist, faux fly stretch denim jeans (elastic in fabric, not Spandex)
Lutterloh jeans back pocket detail (I learned do NOT use non stretch interfacing on stretch fabrics
Lutterloh jeans first stretch denim fabric pants 
Serger detailed decorative stitches on pockets and sleeves of linen/wool muumuu
Muumuu details serger rolled hem edged satin with bias strip satin ribbon details



twin needle embroidery sewn on Kenmore 1755 sewing machine, turquoise muumuu 2020
Linen/wool blend muumuu with black satin details, trimmed with rolled hems & serger stitches 2020
Muumuus with Designer Details by Becky Rice Ware 2020
Brown muumuu in a soft, difficult to sew doubleknit (used roller foot)
Blue & White Muumuu, I sewed bias strips into latticework for my yoke, to add interest. The fabric faded very quickly in the laundry, but I LOVE this dress, anyway! 2018



I currently have something like 22 sewing machines in my living room, & since I’m having trouble getting around my tiny house, due to how many machines I have, & the fact that I have NF2 (Neurofibromatosis 2- genetic disease that causes brain tumors, spinal & nerve tumors), & it is getting harder & harder to walk, I am having to sell some of my sewing machines on Ebay.  Before I sell them all though, I want to take time on my blog to explain all of the wonderful things about each sewing machine, & what special attachments or special stitches they sew, so other people will learn about these fabulous vintage sewing machines too!
Here is a list of some of these great sewing machines!
Bernina 530-2
Bernina 730 or 731
Bernina 830
Bernina 930
Singer 101
Singer 201
Singer Featherweight 221
Singer Featherweight 222
Elna Supermatic
Pfaff 230
Pfaff 260
Sears Kenmore’s older sewing machines, particularly the 158 series!
158.960
158.1560
Necchi
Montgomery Ward
Baby Lock Eclipse DX
Baby Lock Imagine Wave
Baby Lock Evolve
Baby Lock Blind Hemmer
& many more!
There is more to come!
Becky

Fan Favorites