Recycling Jeans Oven Mitts with Bernina 930

2 recovered hot pad mitts are above the pies, under the rolling pin

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10200698463887598&id=1341344577

I had a pair of oven mitts that for some odd reason, had never been lined, they just had the padding quilted to one layer of thin cotton fabric, so you couldn't safely wear them to carry hot pans. Before selling my Bernina 930, I decided I would let myself use it to applique these hot pad holders & put a layer of denim on the outside, so they are safe to use! I cut out the "pans" free hand, from woven muslin, but I was going to applique the other side of the pan, to complete the circle at the top opening of the pan, but decided I liked them fine, just the way they are!

I used Stitch Witchery to iron the appliques in place, where the fingers of the oven mitt are, on the denim (old jeans cut up).

I LOVED doing this with the Bernina, because it has the automatic tension, so I didn't have to fiddle with the tension at all, even though I was using the metallic thread that is basically thread wrapped with a fine layer of metal! Most machines require time consuming fiddling with the thread tension, between the upper tension & the bobbin tension, something most sewists never do want to have to deal with!
To make the applique a bit more padded, I ran pearl cotton string through the cording hole in front of the presser foot, in the needleplate of the Bernina 930 (all Bernina sewing machines, and many other brands, have an opening in the needleplate for this purpose. I lay the roll of string in my lap, and thread the cording under the presser foot, using a presser foot with a groove on the underside, to help hold it in place, as you attach the cording. Place the applique face down for this method and stitch around the edge of your applique. You can also cord on top of the fabric, not needing to use this hole in the plate, then you just use your Bernina embroidery foot, or a cording foot, and place the cording along the outside edge of the applique, then zigzag over the cording around the applique. Sew 2 layers for best edge coverage.  

I used the special type of needle specifically for sewing metallic threads, and I used "thread conditioner" as well, dipping the needle into it a few time, as I sewed 3 layers of the metallic thread around the applique "pan". I think the thread conditioner is actually a silicon type of treatment, it is supposed to help keep the needle cooler (the friction of going through the fabric fast, causes them to heat up), and the special needle has a much larger eye, to give the metallic wrapped thread plenty of room to get through the eye, without stripping the metallic layer off.



Applique underside of one mitt, topside of applique shown, after stitching with silver metallic thread on top, regular white thread on the bottom.


Note I left the loops on the old mitt I was recovering, and sewed the new denim layer, over the bare cotton padding you see in the loser section of the photo. 

stitching the edges together was a bit difficult, with the many uneven layers, so I switched to the walking foot, as shown in the next photo.

The Bernina walking foot made a big difference, in making the stitches even and smooth, when sewing all of the quilted layers together, with the new denim covering. 

Despite the precautions, the metallic needle, and the thread and needle conditioner, I still had the thread break 3 different times as I appliqued 3 layers deep, but despite that, it went extremely smoothly! I expected a LOT more trouble with this finicky type of thread! The oven mitts came out extremely well, even with having to sew through the 2 layers of denim, the thick quilted layer, and the other fabric layer! I'm very happy with them, and I really enjoyed the chance to use my Bernina 930, before I have to give it up! I really thought the heel tap needle up/down feature, and the knee bar presser foot lifter, for "hands free" sewing are FANTASTIC! I can totally see why the Bernina 930 is such a popular sewing machine, that it often sells for $1,200, even today, 25 to 30 years after they were first manufactured! (Dip needle in Thread Heaven, or needle and thread conditioner before sewing, for best results sewing metallic or difficult threads or difficult fabrics.)

Fan Favorites