Kenmore 1204 Zigzag Sewing Machine

Kenmore sewing machines by Soryu (identified by 148 to the left of the decimal, on the metal nomenclature plate), are usually very well built, cast iron body machines, with metal mechanical parts. Only a few of the lower priced 148.xxxx model machines had a plastic gear hidden inside, luckily, the 1204 does not!

There are at least 10 nearly identical green textured surface Kenmore sewing machine models which can use the same basic manual, and easily be mistaken for each other! Kenmore models 22, 41, 42, 54, 1200, 1204, 1205, 1213, 1214, 1215!

There are minor variations between these models, longer, or shorter lid, flat edged handwheel, versus tapered curved handwheel edge, some have a boxier "pillar, while others have a tapered pillar, from wide up top, to narrow at the machine bed. Some have a light, some do not. Some have more soft curves, others are slightly boxier, variations between top mount bobbin winder, others have a front end bobbin winder.

I am adding photos of Sears catalog ads for some of the nearly identical models. I don't have ads for all of them.

Kenmore model 1204 Sewing Machine from my Grandma O'Connor, she brought it to my home in Veneta, Oregon, because she knew I desperately needed a good sewing machine, since I sewed my own clothes, and did not have a sewing machine.

The manual, and and instructions for "Care Free Stitching" came with all Kenmore sewing machines back in those days, and the green box of accessories came with some sewing machines, but bottom of the line models did not always have accessories that came with them, or had small basic sets, like this. My husband and I spent $21 to purchase a box of Kenmore low shank presser feet to use with this sewing machine, and I put them in this box. More expensive Kenmores had more presser feet with them, when purchased. Because my grandparents only bought this for mending, they didn't need the extra presser feet, just the seam ripper and screwdrivers. 

The 1204 is a zigzag capable sewing machine, as well as the basic straight stitch, but did not have a built in blind hem stitch. 

My husband Rick, wearing a thick flannel shirt I made him for Christmas, one year, with the Kenmore 1204. I also sewed the heavy quilted curtains behind him, in the windows of our home. It stopped the cold coming in the windows, and saved us hundreds of dollars in electric bills, in heating and cooling our home.




4 mm zigzag (I believe 1204 is left homing)

Built in reverse stitch to lock seams

Feed dog drop control allows you to set feed dogs for darning or freestyle embroidery

Spoolpin cover to help prevent backspin, when sewing at high speeds

Adjustable presser foot pressure

Low shank Zigzag foot, straight stitch foot

Large and small green Kenmore screwdrivers

Bobbin winder with automatic release when full - some are top mount, some are on the front top end of the machine.

Side loading class 15 bobbin

Green carry case is plastic, original Kenmore case

The zigzag lever has a small knob to the left of it, that you could set to make the stitch width lever stay set at one specific width, the stitch width knob does not stay at the setting you move it to, unless you loosen the knob, then move the lever to your desired stitch width, then you must tighten the knob again. It will stay at this stitch width until you unscrew the knob, and as soon as you unscrew the knob, the springloaded lever, will go back to 0, sewing a straight stitch, again, automatically.

This machine is quite sturdy and strong, and if kept cleaned and oiled, properly, will sew most types of fabric, though you may need a walking foot, or roller foot, for difficult to sew fabrics like velvet, knits, stretch fabrics, spongy fabrics, and similar difficult fabrics. 



I sewed everything from silky fabrics, to quilts, to curtains, mended coats, put in zippers, and more, with this Kenmore 1204. Here's a few photos of some of the projects I sewed with it.
This is a Gunne Sax style of dress I sewed with this Kenmore 1204, when we lived in Veneta, Oregon
Gunne Sax style of dress I sewed with the Kenmore 1204, this is a back view (it has a zipper, that's how you know it's the back, not the front, which has pearl buttons in the center)



I sewed these pants with the 1204
I sewed these slacks with my 1204
I sewed this blue dress with this 1204





































Dress I sewed with this Kenmore 1204, after grandma gave me the sewing machine, it is almost the same peasant style as my very first dress, a red Marie Osmond pattern design, from the 1970's,  I sewed completely by myself, in 7th grade

I sewed many quilts, quilted, insulated curtains, pants, dresses,
 skirts, blouses, mending, and more, sewn on my green machine! I gifted it to my sister, Cathy, when she wanted to start sewing, since this was Grandma and Grandpa O'Connor's sewing machine.







Fan Favorites