Twin Needle Embroidery on ribbon Muumuu


Wearing the muumuu for a photo shoot with my hubby. My daughter, Jamie took the photos. I list 100 lbs. and cuty hair short, since these were taken.

 I blogged on a separate blog site about this muumuu, but that site doesn't use the same format, so I am rewriting it here, and adding the photos again.

Sewing two colors of green thread, using twin needles, to embroider leafy vines on a satin ribbon, to use on my new muumuu dress. I used iron on basting tape (with it's paper still attached) as a tear away stabilizer, to prevent the needles pushing the ribbon down into the needleplate. (Sears Kenmore model  158.18033, uses type C cams, stitch cam 41, stitch width just under 2, stitch length 6 stitches per inch.)

This is one of the ways I use my vintage sewing machines, many of which are older than me.

Stitching embroidered ribbon in place

Planning stage iron on basting tape holds ribbon in place for sewing

I wanted something to cover the raw cut edge of the lace I want to use on the pink muumuu dress I just made, complimentary colors, something natural. I need to sew on the lace and ribbon, and pockets. The scarf/belt is draped on the hanger, right now the ribbon and lace are pinned, to see how I like it.


I used an industrial 3/16" rolled hem folder, on a swing away adapter, which screws onto the bed of the sewing machine, to hem the sleeves and ruffle. I had a broken Kenmore super high shank Q foot, which had the right foot prong broken off, I filed the broken edge smooth, and used it just like a single toe binder foot, used by Bernina, or on industrial machines, when using a  binder folder attached to the machine bed.

0

Shirring (gathering ruffles, sleeve caps and shirring below the yoke, with Kenmore shirring foot and seam guide

I used the super high shank shirring foot, to gather the sleeve heads and ruffle. I had to lessen the presser foot pressure, to allow the fabric to gather, there needs to be a little space under the raised part of the shirring foot. Use the longest stitch length, for more gathers.



Fan Favorites